Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tree Map and Reading

The past two weeks, my Intensive ST group (5th grade) has been working on identifying main idea and supporting details.  Students were asked to read a summary of The Golden Lion Tamarin Comes Home and create a tree map demonstrating their understanding of the story’s main idea as well as three supporting details. 

We had practiced completing a tree map at the beginning of the two week session as a means of familiarizing students with the concept of classifying.

The first group I worked with was given a tree map template.  The second group was asked to draw the map based off the model on the board.  I think having the second group draw their own map took away from the concept of main idea and supporting details, as I had to help students erase and redraw in order for the map to look like the original. 

In the future, I will give my students the tree map template until they are familiar and comfortable with the structure and form.  



No comments: